WELCOME TO ROSSLYN PARK UNDER 7s!
(for children born after 1st September 2006 and before 31st August 2007 – Year 2)
One of the 3 Park teams that got to play at Twickenham – September 2013
At U7s we play tag rugby. This is in line the RFU’s New Rules of Play, a pathway to introduce the game of rugby to young players. There are 3 stages starting with tag rugby for U7/U8s, mini rugby for U9/U10s, and midi rugby for U11/U12s, so that by U13s the players are ready to play the full 15-a-side game.
We train once a week in Richmond Park on a Sunday morning starting at 9:30am and finishing by 11:00am, with festivals and friendlies throughout the year for all teams.
We have a large playing group this year for the U7s with over 80 returning registered players of varied ability split into squads that change over the season as players progress. We are very keen to see new faces joining the club throughout the season. With boys and girls from over 30 different schools Rosslyn Park is a great way to generate new friendships for your child.
Players are moved up and down our squads as they learn, progress (and grow!!) at different rates.
We have a number of qualified coaches, first aiders and RFU qualified referees for our U7 set up which is run by Head Coach Sam Winterbottom. We encourage parents to get involved, and will support those who want to take qualifications, so there are enough for all the players to have a great time. All first aiders, coaches and referees are CRB checked.
Joining the U7s
U7 Guiding Principles
As a group of players, coaches and parents we have evolved the following set of principles for how we approach our rugby.
- Ensure a competitive, fun environment
- Build a strong sense of teamship within the player groups
- Build a strong sense of identity with Rosslyn Park Football Club
- Treat players, coaches, referees and parents with respect at all times
- Recognise and celebrate successes in a positive, supportive environment (from a good pass to winning a tournament)
- Focus on running, passing, catching and tagging skills to create rounded players
- Send as many teams as possible to tournaments so all players have these great experiences
- Competitive selection with the best players in the best squads, selected on form, attitude and attendance
- If players play well we will look to move the play up through the squads
- If players are absent for a tournament or a period of training they will not be automatically put back into that squad
- Movement between the squads enables players to develop in different environments and roles (leadership and responsibility as well as team positions)
U7 Tournament Results and Match Reports
Hoping to get some match reports on here soon.
Under 7s in full flight
Sunday 8th December
Windsor C Festival – Winners.
Well done to the C squad who really turned on the boosters and won all of their matches to win the festival.
Saturday 30th November
The Bs competed in the qualifiers for the Alan Day VW Development Cup at Saracen’s Allianz Park and both teams finished top of their pools, qualifying for the Alan Day VW U7 Champions Event which will be taking place at Allianz Park on Saturday 22nd March 2014.
Sunday 24th November
Rosslyn Park B Festival – Winners
WLDL at Teddington – C Runners up and D Third place
Sunday 17th November
Lexus Regional Tournament – Winners and on to the National final in March 2014
Reeds C – Winners
Saturday 9th November
Spur Steakhouses Cup – The entire age group was entered
Rosslyn Park Apaches – Winners
Rosslyn Park Cherokees – Runners up
Rosslyn Park Sioux Golds – Runners up
Rosslyn Park Navaho Greens – Runners up
Sunday 3rd November
Grasshoppers B – Runners Up and 3rd Place
Sunday October 28th
Rosslyn Park C – Winners
Sunday October 20th
Brighton A – Winners
Esher B – Winners
Sutton and Epsom C – Winners
London Scottish Dev – Winners
Sunday 13th October
Rosslyn Park A – Winners
Reeds B – Best Overall, Most Tries Scored (80), Fewest Tries Conceded (36) – no Winners Trophies at Reeds hence the categories
Sunday 6th October
Windsor A – Winners
Windsor B – Winners
Guildfordians B – Winners
Guildford C – Winners
Sunday 29th Sept
Cobham A – Winners
Warlingham B – Winners and 3rd in the same competition
Wimbledon B – 3rd and 4th overall
West London C League – Winners
West London D League – Winners
September 8th – Premiership Double Header – The London Festival of Rugby
The Under 7s sent three teams to the London Festival of Rugby. None of the teams was streamed so it was particularly pleasing to see the Rosslyn Park contingent making up 3 of the 8 Under 7 teams that qualified to play on the pitch at half time in the London Irish / Saracens game. Playing on the main pitch is reward enough but the 2 wins and 1 draw they achieved sets the squad up nicely for the season.