Rosslyn Park Deutsche Bank Youth Elite Rugby Programme
Rosslyn Park Deutsche Bank Elite Youth Rugby Programme
Introduction to the programme
The aim of the Rosslyn Park Deutsche Bank Elite Youth Rugby programme is to provide additional core technical skills together with game understanding. This will give the players a greater opportunity to move into and through the Representative & Academy pathways and also post group into Rosslyn Park Senior training.
The idea is to run two groups of 20 players 11-13 & 14-16 initially once a month between 6-7pm on either a Tuesday or Thursday before senior training.
This group will be made up of the best players within an age group (11-16) and also those players with the ability to progress to a higher level. These players will be identified through nominations by the Head coach of the age group and myself via summer camps and Sunday training. There will be position specific criteria to help with selection.
The training group will be fluid with players moving in and out of the group depending on their performance with continuous feedback throughout.
The programme has been designed and will be implicated by Jan Bonney, Rosslyn Park 1st XV coach. Jan’s background has been with London Iish and more recently Saracens Academy where he was a major part in developing their academy into one of the most successful in the country.
Rosslyn Park Deutsche Bank Youth Elite Rugby Programme – Background Information
• 11 -16 year olds.
• 2 Training groups- 11-13 age group and 14-16 age group, to enable quicker progression.
• Aim is to nurture and develop home grown Rosslyn Park Mini’s and Youth to help these individuals reach a higher
level in Rugby.
• Rosslyn Park Mini’s and Youth has a proven record of producing phenomenal talent- examples such as Danny
Cipriani, Nick Easter, Christian Lewis-Pratt and Will Collier are good examples. Investment in this area is required to
enable this pathway is improved.
• The Elite Rugby Programme will run regular training sessions based on Rosslyn Park 1st XV pitch – this chosen elite
group will be put through their paces and follow a curriculum which will excel their rugby progression.
• The sessions will involve all the key elements of becoming a successful rugby player – ball skills, contact skills,
speed, strength, agility, power, psychology, dietary advice.
• The sessions will be lead and managed by Rosslyn Park’s new recruit 1st XV head coach Jan Bonney. Jan has
joined Rosslyn Park from Saracens where he had been the head of their academy- the most successful academy in
the country in recent years producing home grown talent that helped Saracens become Premiership champions last
• The sessions will also have input from other 1st XV coaching staff- the strength and conditioners, analysists and unit
• The Elite Rugby Programme will welcome children of diverse backgrounds – state school and public school children,
varying ethnic origins and diverse family backgrounds.